NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

RIP problem on Linux Box...

Kerem Tuzemen keremtuzemen at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 14 14:04:35 EST 2003

Hi all,

I don't know if it's OK to post this message here but I've the feeling that
some of the Linux gurus in this list might help me.
Personally, I'm not a brilliant system admin but I can read and learn. My
problem is that a linux box which stays behind our firewall doesn't seem to
catch RIP announcements from a VPN Server (win2k)  upon client connections
whereas all other win boxes do.
I've googled the RIP protocol and found that I need to run gated or routed
to catch RIP announcements on the network. Is there any other simple way to
make a linux box catch those (which doesn't necessitate gated or routed,
since I'm not going to use it as a router or gateway, I only want it to
update it's routing table) or is it necessary to run a routing deamon?

Any docs, urls, suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kerem Tuzemen