NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Why Smarty?

Emmanuel. M. Decarie emm at scriptdigital.com
Mon May 5 18:24:11 EDT 2003

Hello Chris,

>I think what you will find is that Smarty is less beneficial to developers who
>are already very organized in terms of the software architecture they use
>(whether you subscribe to the MVC school of thought or not).
>
>Of course, the same argument can be said for OOP. You can nearly achieve the
>same level of organization with an intelligent software design.
>However, OOP is
>very popular due to the way it encourages or aids in such
>organization, and for
>similar reasons, Smarty is also very popular due to the way it can aid in
>separating presentation from logic.

Interesting, are you opposing MVC to OOP?  Am I reading too much in
your statement?

For my part I use OOP in MVC.

Usually, my model is in OOP (class files) and the controler is done
with procedural functions (a file with the switch control structure
that control the views) and the view is a file with small snippet of
PHP code.

Cheers
-Emmanuel