NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] AMP comments

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Thu Sep 25 11:26:28 EDT 2003

--- Hans Zaunere <hans at nyphp.org> wrote:
> Perhaps we should be totally democratic about it and have a vote?

Although I am in favor of having a separate list, I can give you a reason why
some people do not favor this type of idea (it has come up a lot on php.net
mailing list discussions). The fear is that all of the "smart" people will
migrate to the advanced/on-topic/whatever list that is being proposed, and the
other list's usefulness will deteriorate, and it will die.

If we do create an on-topic list, I can pretty much guarantee that I will
subscribe to it and drop this one. My time is valuable to me, and while I like
to contribute back to the PHP community by answering questions whenever I have
the time, it is not worth it for me to wade through off-topic discussions and
people asking questions without giving any personal attempt at solving their
own problem.

So, I would see the choices as:

1. Enforce that this list remain on-topic.
2. Create an on-topic list.

Given these choices, either is fine for me, because I will choose to be
subscribed to the on-topic list in either case. It makes no difference to me if
others have a list where they can chat casually (and I have nothing against the
idea at all).

But, that's just my perspective, of course. :-)

Chris

=====
Become a better Web developer with the HTTP Developer's Handbook
http://httphandbook.org/