NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] NEW PHundamentals Question - Error Handling

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Mon May 10 15:05:29 EDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Mark Armendariz wrote:

> > Why would you do that when PHP 5 supports try/catch/throw?
> > Seems easier to upgrade to PHP 5. :)
>
> Well that will definitely help *here, but I figure if I want to start moving
> in that general direction, I'll want to overall, including on client servers
> which will probably run 4.3 for at least few more months.

You can probably replicate some functionality of exceptions in PHP
4.3, but it'll very coarse grained. For instance, if all you want to
do is bail out to an error handling section, then you can do that.

However, I doubt you can replicate more subtle features, like
exception bubbling.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!