NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] To Smarty Or Not to Smarty: That Is The Question

Paul M Jones pmjones88 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 13:21:36 EDT 2006

On Sep 6, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Peter Sawczynec wrote:

> Rob:
>
> I believe that your comments revealed compelling reasons to go a
> Smarty-type
> template route.

Smarty *type*, perhaps, but not Smarty.  ;-)

> Using a Smarty-type support template support structure to create:
> i) several different looking sites all driven efficiently by the
> same data,
> and

Easily do-able with something like Savant, Zend_View, or Solar_View,
all using PHP as the "template" markup, and which provide directory
fallbacks and on-demand helpers.  (Fully object-oriented helpers,
BTW, not functions.)

> ii) gain performance by caching page(s) and/or data

Also easily do-able with PEAR Cache_Lite, Zend_Cache, or Solar_Cache.

> ...seems more like true genuine good reasons to use a Smarty than
> to solely
> go a Smarty-type route just so that designers can tweak the colors
> of tables as the months go by.

Agreed.

--

Paul M. Jones  <http://paul-m-jones.com>

Solar: Simple Object Library and Application Repository
for PHP5.   <http://solarphp.com>

Savant: The simple, elegant, and powerful solution for
templates in PHP.   <http://phpsavant.com>