NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Licensing open source software

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 01:45:24 EST 2008

> - get credited (have my name mentioned in code) [snip]
Fair enough.

> - mandate that any changes or improvements are sent to me [snip]
Are you kidding?  One of the principals of open source is that people
are free to modify the code.  Adding such a restriction to modifying
the code would be a non-starter for most everyone.  Don't bother
releasing the code if you include this restriction.  I suggest
relaxing this requirement and putting a comment, "send bug fixes/
patches to your at emal.com."

> - prohibit commercial use without my written consent, meaning that I am not
> against a company using it in their web app, but I want to know about it and
> most likely get into agreement on special terms such as not getting sued... [snip]

Do you want to prohibit commercial use, or do you want to prevent
yourself from getting sued?  These are separate issues.  Keep in mind
that preventing commercial use means no one will use your code.

Just as an FYI, open source licenses don't specify what others can do
with code, but instead they specify what others must do when
(re)distributing the code.  The distinction is subtle, but very
important.

I suggest dropping 2,3 and use the LGPL.  That will get you 1 plus
legal indemnity.
or just use the MIT license (public domain + legal indemnity)

Regards,
John Campbell