NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] MongoDB and others, convince me. :-)

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 08:42:50 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so since someone has been singing the praises of MongoDB, and others
> have been mentioned, I figured I'd provide a contrarian view and see if you
> can convince me otherwise.

I kind of think they are different tools for different jobs. NoSQL has
risen out of the need for massively scalable databases. For the vast
majority of apps, using one is overkill, and probably leads to the
kind of messy data access and reporting scenarios you envision.

In other words, that "How do I query it?" "You write a map reduce
function in Erlang." cartoon is right on the money.